"Why is my skin so dry?" is a question that many people ask themselves. Our Founder is one of the lucky ones who struggled with this question after exposure to stress, hard water, moisture-stripping body cleansers, and a new climate.
So here's the deal. There isn't a one size fits all approach to managing dry or dehydrated skin. However, there are several ingredients and lifestyle changes that might offer your dehydrated or dry skin relief.
The Difference Between Dry vs. Dehydrated Skin
Dry Skin craves oil because it produces less sebum in comparison to normal skin types. In the absence of lipids and sebum, the skin barrier may become compromised and it requires oil to replenish it.
Dehydrated skin lacks moisture which means water should be your best friend when searching for skincare products. Humectants should also be high on your priority list when searching for moisturizing skincare. Vegetable glycerin is a vegan humectant that attracts moisture to skin and it's a great humectant alternative to honey.
Dry and Dehydrated Skin Routine
1. Hydrate- Drink plenty of water and remain hydrated throughout the day.
2. Shower Ritual- Find a comfortable temperature that feels good for your skin and doesn't strip your skin of it's natural moisture barrier. It's also important to remain mindful of the length of your showers. Long showers can easily result in drier skin. We recommend showering for no more than 15 minutes and you can take your shower karaoke to go.
3. Shower Filter- Consider a shower filter to reduce hard water residue on your skin. There are many filters to research and we highly recommend investing in a filter if possible. Hard water leaves residue on your skin and your shower. This type of water can result in skin feeling dry, itchy, or inflamed. It also prevents moisture and oil from effectively penetrating your skin. You might live in a hard water region if you've notice white calcium build-up on your faucet or freshly washed dishes. The states with some of the hardest water currently include Indiana, Utah, Florida, and Texas.
4. Supplements- Research supplements to replenish the lipid barrier of your skin if you're experiencing severe dryness. We recommend that you consult with a medical professional to discuss further.
5. Moisturize- Soothe your skin with a moisturizing product immediately after cleansing. The OG Body Créme is a vegan silicone-free body créme that soothes irritated skin. The ingredient list includes water, rose hip seed oil, mango butter, and glyceryl stearate (derivative of vegetable glycerin), and other nourishing ingredients.
Do you have dehydrated or dry skin and how are you managing?